Sunday, May 20, 2012

Define me...

I realized recently
that I am no longer defined
by being divorced.

I was..
for a while...
I hated when people
asked-
'was I married'...
'what did my husband do'..
In social settings;
I knew it was coming!
Going into places was hard,
I felt the desire to tell everyone
why I was divorced,
who I used to be!!
I felt defensive..
I felt discarded.....

And then..
I defined myself by being single.
I noticed wedding rings,
and couples!
I was aware of my freedom
and also my aloneness...

And now....
I am defined by who I am!
Not my state of being.
I have friends in my life
who have known me through
each stage..
and friends in my life,
who have only known me
in my 'unmarried' state.
I rarely bump into people any more,
who knew me then...
and who ask because they did not know!
and when I meet people
and the subject comes up,
I am OK with it!
I am divorced!
I am single!
I am just me.
A single, working, busy, children raising, Woman!

It has taken time..
there have been many bumps!
But, I am in a place
that made MOST of the bumps..
worth while...:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment